Temecula Spousal Support Lawyer

Financial Responsibilities With Spousal Support

There are numerous misconceptions surrounding spousal support. Some people think it is a right; others are under the misnomer that it is punishment. In reality, it is neither. Spousal support (also called alimony or spousal maintenance) is provided to help individuals transition from being in married relationships to living independently.

In California, there is a presumption that if your marriage lasted less than 10 years, you should be able to get back on your feet in half the length of the marriage. At The Law Offices of John G. McGill, Jr., we have more than 30 years of experience helping people understand the elements of spousal support: Will support be awarded? How much support will be awarded? How long will support last?

Factors of Spousal Maintenance

Spousal support is the amount of money paid a spouse to reduce the disparity of income caused by the divorce. This money is intended to maintain the lifestyle to which the spouse grew accustomed to during the marriage, and to allow him or her time to become financially independent.

The courts do not use a specific formula to determine spousal support. The courts use their discretion, as the award of spousal support is not mandatory, nor is it awarded in every case. Several factors are considered by the courts when determining the appropriate amount of spousal support, including:

  • Length of the marriage
  • Age of the parties
  • Income of each spouse
  • Education and training levels of each spouse
  • Needs of both parties
  • Child custody and child support arrangements

Contact an Experienced Riverside County Alimony Attorney

If you are interested in learning more about how much alimony you will be expected to pay or how much you could receive, an experienced Temecula spousal support attorney can help. We offer individuals an initial assessment without charge to give you a better understanding of what to expect throughout the process. Our lawyer can be reached online or by calling 951-795-4186.